Friday, June 26, 2009

And the World We Once Believed in Will Shine Again in Grace

"Heal the World," Michael Jackson



RIP MJ 1958-2009


And on a completely unrelated note, a few excerpts from one of my all-time favorite authors. I'm re-reading portions of When You Are Engulfed In Flames right now and laughing out loud on a regular basis. I heart David Sedaris:

"Every day we're told that we live in the greatest country on earth. And it's always stated as an undeniable fact: Leos are born between July 23 and August 22, fitted queen-size sheets measure sixty by eighty inches, and America is the greatest country on earth. Having grown up with this in our ears, it's startling to realize that other countries have nationalistic slogans of their own, none of which are 'We're number two!'"

"When forced to leave my house for an extended period of time, I take my typewriter with me, and together we endure the wretchedness of passing through the X-ray scanner. The laptops roll merrily down the belt, while I’m instructed to stand aside and open my bag. To me it seems like a normal enough thing to be carrying, but the typewriter’s declining popularity arouses suspicion and I wind up eliciting the sort of reaction one might expect when traveling with a cannon.
‘It’s a typewriter,’ I say. ‘You use it to write angry letters to airport security.’

No comments: