Friday, October 23, 2009

Got a Devil's Haircut in My Mind

 Beck

This week, because I'm cheap and efficient opulent and swanky, I went to Supercuts for a haircut. I've never been a fan of expensive, drawn-out salon visits (see: my hockey-baseball-fort-building-tree-climbing childhood), and so up until a few years ago my mom cut my hair. This choice doesn't have to do with saving money (although that is a plus), but rather with sheer laziness. I upgraded to the much-fancier "Campus Cuts" in college (yes, that's the one located IN the UCLA student store), and have since been a regular at any local Supercuts ("regular" is a term I apparently use loosely, as I venture into one of the establishments approximately once every 6-8 months). Without fail, my hair-cutter pretends to (poorly, I might add) hide her shock once she learns I only buy grocery store shampoo and conditioner! And don't deep condition once every 10-14 days! Inevitably, sometimes even before my haircut is over, I am led to the wall of "magic" products, all of which promise to cure split ends and solve world hunger. Inevitably, also, I pretend to "think about it" and perhaps "come by later in the week to pick some up." (This is a new and improved tactic, since up until about a year ago, my shame and guilt usually found me leaving Supercuts with 5 new conditioning balms, a reduced bank account, and a little less dignity).

So on Tuesday I got a haircut. The girl who cut my hair sliced about an inch off the bottom, re-did what she thought "were maybe an attempt at some layers?", and cut my bangs. However, apparently I misunderstood her, because I could have sworn when I answered "yes," the question had been: "So do you want your bangs to kind of look like mine?" rather than "Do you want me to close my eyes and pretend I am a scissor-wielding toddler?"  Due to this miscommunication, my awesome bangs now look like this:



I guess what they say is true; you get what you pay for. Compared to what I know many of my friends pay for haircuts, Supercuts is a steal.

However, I probably should be out spending that saved money on hats and headbands.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Next time try Edward Scissorhands Love, dad