Sunday, June 20, 2010

'Round the World We'll Go

"On Melancholy Hill," Gorillaz

I am certain you make your own luck. People must set out to find their own servings of happiness; etch their own places in the universe; create their own perfect moments. Win or lose, the score of our own lives is entirely up to the choices and figurative "plays" we make day to day. As Ray Bradbury said so poignantly: "All you umpires, back to the bleachers. Referees, hit the showers. It's my game. I pitch, I hit, I catch. I run the bases. At sunset I've won or lost. At sunrise, I'm going out again, giving it the old try."

I believe happiness and fortune and peace can be found in such a variety of different avenues and adventures. For me, falling asleep with sand in my sheets does the trick. So does reading a good book outside, or playing a board game on a rainy afternoon. Live music in the park on a warm summer day. Eggs over-easy. Watching a mother gray whale lazily make her way up the coast in early April. Some of my most perfect days end with 7-11 hot chocolate and a walk on the beach. However, I also know that travel is important to my life. Near or far, exploring the various corners of the world satisfies an unnamed curiosity in me. Together, Tim and I have been lucky enough to travel to some of our favorite spots:

 Avalon Bay, Catalina Island

 Library at Ephesus, Turkey

Heron Island, Great Barrier Reef, Australia
Mykonos, Greece

St. Lucia, Carribean

But we're not done. A few places we'd like to visit before the next life: 

Alaska

Madagascar/Seychelles, Indian Ocean

Trevi Fountain, Rome, Italy

 Galapagos Islands

 Guadalupe Island

 Milford Sound, South Island, New Zealand

Appalachian Trail (to Springer Mountain, Georgia)

Mount Kilimanjaro, Tanzania, Africa 

Whistler Blackcomb, British Columbia, Canada

This might take awhile.

"Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness..."
-Mark Twain

2 comments:

Amanda said...

We have friends who live in Alaska, really want to go one day!

Danielle R. said...

Ok two comments. You should definitely add French Polynesia to your list- especially Bora Bora and Moorea. Second, I adore that quote from Mark Twain. You should put up the whole thing because I feel that it hits at the heart of many of our problems here in the US with all those people "vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime."