Monday, June 16, 2008

Picture Yourself in the Living Room

"The Underdog," Spoon

In order to fully understand the following, I have to back up and explain the aftermath of the squid-spilling fiasco that happened a few weeks ago. The lovely scent of rotten squid meat and liquid lingered in our apartment (and, obviously, the refrigerator) for about a week. One day, I got home from work, opened the fridge, and found a bouquet of dying flowers bunched onto one of the lower-level shelves. The following dialogue ensued:

Me: Hey Tim, why are there flowers in the refrigerator?
Tim: Well, I went to throw them out, but they smelled really good, so I thought maybe they would help get rid of the squid smell.
Me: ...
Tim: I know, I know, it's probably stupid. But, you never know.
Me: (kneeling down, pushing the flowers aside, finding a large candle also shoved in the back of the fridge) And that?
Tim: That smelled really good, too.

So, as end of the year presents, my students gave me a much-appreciated assortment of flowers, thoughtful cards, and gift certificates. One particular student opted instead for a fridge freshener:


Her inscription reads: Dear Ms. Murray and Tim, I saw this and thought of you. Next time a squid leaks, I hope this will work better than flowers.

Brilliant.
She's got it right-on: although I can't wait to use up the Starbucks and Borders gift cards, my number one priority is making sure the stench of putrid squid is completely and totally eradicated from the place where we keep our food. Extra credit points for this kid.

No comments: